120 nursing home workers at Christian Care stuck together and persevered through a long battle for their latest contract. Workers held two pickets, filed several charges with the local labor board, marched on their boss twice, organized around a petition to stop union retaliation from management, and even had a delegation of workers and their kids to call out the meager $0.05 raises that management offered. Through these actions and more, workers showed unity and stood one day longer!
Here are few highlights from the new agreement:
- Removing limits on the amount of stewards
- First-time new employee orientation language
- Discipline and discharge article
- Improved timelines to the grievance procedure
- Improved labor management language
- Removing language preventing members from wearing SEIU buttons and clothing
- Improvements to vacation, sick, holidays, and minimum rates
- Across the board increases for all bargaining unit members
Congratulations Christian Care workers!