February 2015

Peoria Family Featured on Child Care Budget Crisis Ad Urging Gov. Rauner to Act

Watch Our New AD

Working Families to Gov. Rauner: Save Illinois’ Child Care Program!

(TAKE ACTION NOW – send a letter to your state legislator to save our child care program!)

Susan and Jason McWhirter are hard working parents of two children, ages 1 and 6, who live in Peoria. Susan is a certified nursing assistant who works 18-25 hours a week providing home care. She also attends school to become a medical assistant in hopes of advancing her career.

Jason also works 18-25 hours a week at a fast food restaurant and makes minimum wage. The family struggles to make ends meet as they have little to nothing left over after paying for utilities, food and other necessities.

The McWhirters use the Child Care Assistance Program because it allows them affordable, dependable and safe options for child care. The oldest child is bussed to child care when the school day ends. The parents arrive after 5 p.m. to pick both children up. The family says the quality of the child care has been very good in the development of the youngest child.

Susan & Jason McWhirter, working parents in Peoria, fight to protect the Child Care Assistance Program.

Susan & Jason McWhirter, working parents in Peoria, fight to protect the Child Care Assistance Program.

If the family loses child care assistance, Jason will have to quit his job and stay home with the 1 year old. That would allow Susan to get her medical assistant license when she graduates in May. She feels it’s important for her to finish school. Her ultimate goal is to become a registered nurse and continue to help people in need.

Meanwhile, if forced to, she will attempt to work a second job and finish studies.

“We’re very concerned about losing child care assistance,” Mrs. McWhirter said. “’My husband and I both work and I go to school so I can get a better job. Many families have no options but to leave their children in the care of others while they make a living for their family. The child care program gives me and my family options for child care that we can trust.”

SEIU HCII Press Release

Contact: James Muhammad, James.Muhammad@seiuhcil.org

 New TV Ad Calls on Gov. Rauner to Protect Working Parents

Substantial Television Ad Campaign Increases Pressure on Governor Rauner to Protect Child Care Funding

(Feb. 11, 2015, Chicago)–SEIU Healthcare Illinois launched a television ad campaign today calling on Gov. Bruce Rauner and the Illinois General Assembly to protect funding for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP).

The Department of Human Services announced a $300 million budget shortfall last month that will leave 160,000 thousand children in low-wage households without safe, reliable child care services.

The ad is one part of an aggressive campaign being led by early childhood education advocates, parents, childcare providers and children’s organizations throughout Illinois to restore funding for the child care program. It will be shown in all major media markets in the state including: Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Quad-Cities and Champaign.  The ad will air Feb. 11 through Feb. 18.

Susan and Jason McWhirter and their two children are featured in the ad. The Peoria family relies on the child care program to go to work.

“We’re very concerned about losing child care assistance,” Mrs. McWhirter said. “’My husband and I both work and I go to school so I can get a better job. Many families have no options but to leave their children in the care of others while they make a living for their family. The child care program gives me and my family options for child care that we can trust.”

The ad comes the week before Gov. Rauner is set to unveil his budget proposal on Feb. 18. The Chicago Tribune called the shortfall an “immediate test” for the governor.  Working parents and children’s advocates across the state have been very vocal about the crisis and the devastating impact of not fully funding the program.

Parents and advocates have flooded calls into the governor’s office and the offices of state legislators calling for immediate action. Rallies and press conferences also have been held in cities across the state.

“We have to take the governor at his word that the future of our state’s children is his first priority,” said Faith Arnold, a child care provider. “I want to believe him. Our children and the parents who desperately need the program want to believe him. It’s in his court now to do the right thing.”

###

Did you like this? Share it:
Leave a comment

Single Moms and Working Parents Demand Gov. Rauner and State Lawmakers Pass Emergency Funding to Save Child Care Program as Money Dries Up

Latosha Hethington, a single mom in Springfield, goes to State Capitol for Gov. Rauner's "State of the State" address to call on him and General Assembly to pass emergency funding bill to save the child care program; 02/0415.

Latosha Hethington, a single mom in Springfield, goes to State Capitol for Gov. Rauner’s “State of the State” address to call on him and General Assembly to pass emergency funding bill to save the child care program; 02/0415.

(February 6th, 2015) — Parents came out in force this week to demand that Gov. Bruce Rauner and state lawmakers take immediate action to fund the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) which has completely run out of money.  The child care program needs an estimated $300 million emergency supplemental funding bill to keep parents working and able to send their kids to providers.

Check out a sample of these news clips of single moms taking to the airwaves to call on Gov. Rauner to lead on this crisis. Rauner never said a word about the child care funding crisis this week during his “State of the State” address to the General Assembly on Wednesday, Feb. 4th.

(TAKE ACTION NOW – send a letter to your state legislator to save our child care program!)

 

ABC 20: At Senate Hearing, Moms Demand Action to Save Child Care Program

Springfield ABC 20: Chandra Ankoor Tells Gov Rauner & Lawmakers to Save Child Care Program

Peoria NBC 25: Parents, Providers Demand Gov. Rauner and Lawmakers Fix Child Care Crisis

Chicago WTTW 11: Lawmakers Commit to Solving Child Care Funding Crisis

Did you like this? Share it:
Leave a comment

Faith Leaders Launch “Souls to the Polls” Drive to Spur Early Voting in Chicago’s Mayoral Race

Rev. Marilyn Pagan-Banks emcees the "Souls to the Polls" press conference at Quinn Chapel on Jan. 28th, 2015 to launch the faith coalition's drive for early voting in Chicago's mayoral election. Souls to the Polls is a non-partisan group.

Rev. Marilyn Pagan-Banks emcees the “Souls to the Polls” press conference at Quinn Chapel on Jan. 28th, 2015 to launch the faith coalition’s drive for early voting in Chicago’s mayoral election. Souls to the Polls is a non-partisan group.

(January 28th, 2015, Chicago) — scroll below to see media coverage as well as videos from the Souls to the Polls press conference.

Rev. Marilyn Pagan-Banks, who emceed the “Souls to the Polls” press conference, made the following statement:

“We are gathered here today, in this historic sanctuary, to announce the kick-off of our Souls to the Polls early vote initiative. As faith leaders, we commit to signing up at least 100 churches in the Chicagoland area to participate in this movement for civic engagement, by getting congregations, seniors and working families to vote early on Sunday, February 15th in the Chicago mayoral election.

This coalition is being led by Community Renewal Society, SOUL – Southsiders Organized for Unity and Liberation and SEIU Healthcare Illinois and Indiana,” said

“While the ‘Souls to the Polls’ effort does not endorse any of the Chicago mayoral candidates, we want African-American voters and working families to seize the opportunity to vote early in this year’s municipal election. As we enter into the start of Black History Month, faith leaders agree one of the ways to guarantee that black communities and concerns are addressed is if African-Americans get out to the polls and vote,” said Rev. Banks.

Rev. Cy Fields, New Landmark, speaks on Restorative Justice

Rev. Cy Fields, New Landmark, speaks on Restorative Justice

Chicago ABC 7: Faith Leaders Launch “Souls to the Polls” Drive to Spur Early Voting in Mayor’s Race

WBBM-AM “Souls to the Polls” Launches Early Voting Effort for Chicago Mayoral Election

 Watch the “Souls to the Polls” Press Conference

Souls to the Polls Video 1: Intro Rev. Marilyn Pagan-Banks

Souls to the Polls Video 2: Opening Prayer: Rev. Vertie Powers, Conference Minister of the CMA

Souls to the Polls Video 3: Father Larry Dowling, St. Agatha & Revin Fellows, Grace Memorial Baptist

Souls to the Polls Video 4: Rev. Cy Fields, New Landmark on Restorative Justice

Souls to the Polls Video 5: Rev. Booker Vance, On Ending Mass Incarceration

Souls to the Polls Video 6: Rev. Marilyn Pagan-Banks On Why Early Voting Matters

 

Souls to the Polls Video 7: Closing Prayer Rev. Luther Mason, Greenstone United Methodist Church

Did you like this? Share it:
Leave a comment